In many cases there are people who suffer since the employer doesn’t share the Copy of I140 with you. But that’s Ok. What ever may be the reason you want these documents, Follow the below steps to get your copy from USCIS.
1. Fill the G-639 Form once you download from below link.
Most of the sections are self explanatory but, Use the below link get instructions in case you have any questions on how to fill certain sections.
Use the below link to see a sample filled document
Dont worry if you don’t have a A#. You can fill the remaining details. In place of Petition# you can provide you H1 or L1 petition #
2. Write a separate cover letter explaining the need for this document and also mention that you will be ready to pay if any expenses incurred becasue of your request.
3. Mail these two documents Cover Letter & filled G639 form to below address
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
National Records Center, FOIA/PA Office
P. O. Box 648010
Lee’s Summit, MO 64064-8010
4. You will receive a Tracking# from USCIS within 10 days.
5. Use the below link to track the status of your request on a weekly basis.
Usually it takes 6 to 10 weeks, But depending on the volume of requests they have the time may vary. Once your request is processeed succesfully you will receive the documents in a CD within 10 days.
Sample copy of the final document you may receive
Note: Usually this service is free of cost but Sometimes you may be charged some money in case your request is placed in a complex search due to lack of information since it may consume some resources and their time.