WordPress already is a world class product. In fact free and the best personalCMS solution to date, butÂ like any other softwareÂ a few tweaks and add-ons go a long way in making your page/site effective.
Iâ€™ll be listing a set of links on this page for your consideration soon. Here are a few to start withâ€¦
- Optimise Page Titles, URL Structure, Meta descriptions and more. Very effective writeup.
- List of Ping Services â€” let others know youâ€™re posting.
- Verify your site with Google, and notify Google. You need a google account(free) to use their services.
- Feedburner Feed Replacement â€” is another must have plugin for WordPress. while WPâ€™s own RSS out of the box kinda works, FeedBurner makes sure you deliver content to your RSSed subscribers and even get statistics to that end. Some features require $$ but a free account with Feed Burner will give you a lot.
- Create a Sitemap (there are numerous ways of doing this). You can useÂ WordPress Sitemap generator plugin.
- If youâ€™re not happy with the theme you currently have you can alwaysbuild your own or chose from a wide range ofÂ readily available ones. Or more atÂ OS Skins,Â simple minimalist themes,Â Planet WordPressâ€¦ and very recently addedÂ WP Theme generator if you like sinking your teeth into a bit of web design.
- AddÂ meta description to your post automatically through Head META Descriptor plugin from guff. Increases Search engine visibility if your first few lines have good keywords.
- Search_Hilite plugin search results can be highlighted for easy readability.
- Priceless WordPress Guides by Pods
- A lot of words, a lot of text, not very well presented but has links to someÂ good SEO related tools for WordPress
- Role Manager is particularly useful whenthere is more than one author and different levels of permissions needs to be implemented.
- Crawl Test at SEOMoz â€” this is currently available toÂ premium membersonly but due to launch in April 2007. This tool helps quickly diagnose search engine crawling issues like areas that have potential issues such as if there are a numerous pages with the same title tag (keyword cannibalization?), bad HTTP response codes such as 404 or 500, or a high number of pages that arenâ€™t being spidered by the search engines.